Steamed vegetables rougail!
Steamed Vegetables like Islands cooking!
Rougail is a Creole specialty of Reunion origin. It usually consists of diced tomatoes, crushed ginger, chopped onions and chili.
I took this recipe and I offers here one of my best-of!
Try it very soon!
Ingredients for 8 persons
– 2 CS. olive oil
– 2 large onions, thinly sliced
– 5 cloves of garlic
– 1 cm. ginger
– 5 fresh tomatoes, or 1 can of tomatoes (400g.) depending on the season
– 1 green cabbage (important ingredient because the combination of green cabbage with rougail is the best part of this recipe!)
– 1 small broccoli (about 150-200 g.)
– 1 handful of flat beans
– saffron (or turmeric or curry)
– a pinch of chili powder (optional)
– 4 CS. umebosis (or soy sauce)
– 2 CS. teryaki sauce or maple syrup or agave syrup
– juice of 1 lemon
– bay leaves and thyme
– 2 CS. smoked black tea leaves (optional, but recommended to add a smoky and delicious taste …)
Steamed vegetables rougail preparation:
– First step –
Cook the thinly sliced onions until they become translucent (without fat if you have suitable cooking utensils).
Slice green cabbage.
Cut the broccoli, tomatoes (or add tomato sauce later if you do not use fresh tomatoes) and the flat beans into small pieces.
Steam for 10 minutes.
– 2nd step –
Meanwhile, pour a little olive oil into a frying pan with saffron and hot pepper. Heat the oil lightly.
Add crushed and minced garlic , crushed and minced ginger, and onions.
Put the frying pan out of the fire.
Add umebosis, lemon juice, bay leaves, thyme and smoked tea leaves to the pan and stir.
Add tomatoes (or tomato sauce) and vegetables and stir again.
Let cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
To be served with steamed rice or millet…
Try this recipe and leave your comments please!